History of the Planetary Rotor Machine
In 1902, an English inventor by the name of Thomas S. Colbourne was first to conceive and patent a planetary rotor machine. Titled as a Rotary Engine, the concept employed four straight rotors equally spaced on a shared circle diameter. The rotors rotated in the same direction, swept past each another, and were synchronized using timing gears. The rotors also acted as a valve, having either an intake or an exhaust port integrated within each one.
Over the next 40 years, only minor improvement patents were made to the original design. However, in 1946 a Canadian by the name of Rudolf D. Delamere significantly improved the machine by adding a helical twist to the rotors, creating the progressive cavity we know today. He was also the first to conceive a 3-rotor machine and a matrix design by grouping sets of rotors together
Over the next sixty years several patents were filed, but most had the goal of modifying the planetary rotary machine into a combustion engine. The most significant being awarded to a GM engineer in 1998 by the name of Constantinos A. Koromilas, who conceived a four cycle engine with variable pitch, multi-twist, rotors.
Helidyne leaves its mark on history with its own patent pending improvements, and as the first company to prototype, test, and commercialize this century old concept; not as a combustion engine, but rather as a gas expander –capitalizing on its inherent self-cleaning and robust attributes.